diy Location Independence

How I built a ramp for my truck

By
on
19/12/2019

For my upcoming move I needed a ramp for my truck to make getting my fridge and washing machine up easily. It will also serve to get my little bike up there to use my truck as a garage during the winter days and I suspect the thing will help me during a couple of moves I plan to partake in over the next years.

Finished project first

So here’s how I built it:

Materials:

  • A sheet of plywood / OSB. This was a standard size 60x200cm but the actual size did not matter much as it could have been shorter / wider. This just happens to work perfectly but I eyeballed it.
  • Two equal lengths of black iron square tubing. I have previously built a similar thing using regular wood as backing but I had these on hand from my truck cover frame built.
  • 3m of random wood board to make steps, this could be anything you have on hand.
  • Two sturdy metal 90° mounts that serve to hang the ramp into my tailgate – a very handy solution.
  • Screws, nuts and bolts.

Total cost of this built came out to 30 bucks which is pretty cheap for something I’ll get so much use out of. I had the metal on hand, else that would have cost another 20 but I would have likely substituted with wood in that case.

Tools used:

A quick ahead: Many of these tools were not necessary and could have been replaced with much cheaper tools. It just so happens that I have all of these on hand because I do a lot of crafting from the back of my truck.

  • Cordless drill with metal drill bits
  • Circular saw (definitely not needed)
  • Impact driver (replaced by regular screwdriver or cordless drill)
  • 8mm/10mm sockets and wrenches

Step 1: Remove the annoying edge

The wood I used has a lot of benefits but that little edge running along the side is very annoying and dangerous so I cut it off. You could skip this step just fine.

Step 2: Cut the steps to size

Next up I cut five pieces of the cheap wood I had bought so that I could use them as steps. This was again eyeballed as much of this build – I love those „meh whatever“ measurements a lot.

Not pictured: I pre-drilled the holes to avoid the wood splitting while I mounted it with screws.
Perfectly balanced as all things should be.

Step 3: I mounted the „hooks“

With a metal drill bit I widened the holes to 6mm. I could have used 5mm bolts but they always seem a little flimsy in comparison and since this is load bearing I preferred this option. It took just ten seconds per hole.
Next up I drilled holes through the wood (using the same metal drill bit as before because I’m lazy) and then fastened the hooks with nuts and bolts. Not pictured: Washer on the underside.

Step 4: I mounted the metal square tubing

This leftover bit of steel was perfect for this case and I needed just one bolt on either end to secure it. This thing ain’t gonna budge now.
Because the bolts I had were a little too short I had to struggle a bit and used my multi tool to hold the nut inside the tubing. Of course this only works at the ends which is part of why I did not add any further bolts in the middle – the other that it was just not necessary.

Step 6: Test and rejoice!

This thing works just as expected and if anything even a little better, cheaper.

I hope you found this post enjoyable, I realize it’s a pretty simple project but at the same time it is a real time, back and stress saver that I’ll be using for years to come.

If you enjoyed the post here are some other projects I’ve built:

TAGS
RELATED POSTS

LEAVE A COMMENT

Malte
Germany

Hi, I'm a programmer by day, creative writer and outdoors guy in the evening. This site is my happy place where I write about my journey towards financial and location independence and the obstacles I encounter along the way.

Subscribe to the newsletter and get cool posts in return!